It can be frustrating when you try to send a message to friend or family member on Messenger and get the message “This person is unavailable on Messenger.”
What does that mean? And more importantly, what can you do to fix it?
What does it mean when it says ‘this person is unavailable on messenger’?
There are a few different reasons why you might see this message:
- The person has deactivated their account.
- Their account is suspended or banned by Facebook.
- Their account has been deleted.
- Your account has been blocked.
- You blocked that person.
- The person uninstalled Messenger on their phone.
- Technical issue on the Messenger app.
How to Fix “This person is unavailable on Messenger”
Now that we know some of the reasons behind this message, let’s look at how to fix it.
Check If The Person’s Account Has Deactivated or Suspended
If you think the person has deactivated their Facebook account:
- Find the person on your friend list, search their name or email address on the search bar, and go to their profile.
- If you can’t find them, they’ve most likely deactivated their account or it has been suspended or banned.
Check If The Person Blocked You
If you’re still unable to message the person, they may have blocked you on Messenger.
- Open a conversation with the person and tap their name at the top.
- A pop-up will appear with that person’s info.
- If it says “Facebook User”, whether you can still see their profile picture or not, it means they have blocked you.
Update the Application
The ‘this person is unavailable on messenger’ message may also appear when your app is outdated.
So, make sure you’ve installed the latest version of Messenger.
- Open Google Play or App Store and search for ‘Messenger’.
- If there’s an update notification, tap on Update.
If not, then you’ve installed the latest version. Try the next method.
The following approach should suffice. It worked for me and, maybe, for you as well.
Re-Install The App
If updating the app doesn’t work, try uninstalling and reinstalling Messenger app on your phone.
- Uninstall the Messenger app from your phone.
- Go to App Store or Google Play and install Messenger again.
- Open the app and login with your Facebook account.
- See if you can message the person now.
This is the method that has worked for me. But if you still face the issue, let’s move to the next method.
Check If The Account is Active or Not
When you see ‘This Person is Unavailable on Messenger’, chances are the user may have deactivated their account for some time or permanently deleted it.
- You can search the person’s name or email address. If you can find them, it means the account is still active.
- But if you can’t find them, the account may have been deactivated or deleted.
Additionally, you can ask your mutual friend whether they face the same issue when trying to message the person or not.
If they get the same message, chances are, the person has either deactivated or deleted their account.
Wrap It Up
I hope this article helped you fix the ‘This person is unavailable on Messenger’ error.
Did any of these methods work for you? Please let me know in the comments below!
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I would be happy to help.